Since The Beginning:

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

History Repeats Itself - Education is Lacking

Holocaust Remembrance Day was this week. I'll admit that if it weren't on my calendar, I wouldn't have even known there was a Remembrance Day. 

What really gets me is that it's only on one of my two wall-calendars. 

What gets me even more irritated by this is, despite it being an official day and on calendars, there are still Holocaust Deniers in the world!

How is it even possible for people to not acknowledge this historical nightmare? Genocide is not to be taken lightly, people.

I understand a lot of us weren't properly educated about it. I only graduated 13 years ago and I don't recall it ever being brought up in class. There may have been a paragraph or two mentioned about it when we glossed over the Great Depression, but I don't recall any details beyond the possibility it was even mentioned.

I asked my mother if it was Thousands or Millions who were killed - and she didn't know. To be fair, I could have looked up the answers online had that been all I was interested in. But is that really the point I'm making? Of course not. That is probably the simplest question to be asked in reference to all this horror - but even it can't be answered without opening Google. How is that encouraging? 

 I guess if we can phase out proper education on The Holocaust, The Great War, The Great Depression, World War 2, The Vietnam War, and Watergate - it really can't be so surprising that history is repeating itself with our current affairs...