Since The Beginning:

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Thirsty Thursday (I know it's been forever!) and Film for Thought Thursday

Thirsty Thursday Recommendations:

Orange Juice - because it is good for you and tastes fabulous. Tang is an acceptable substitute if you are watching any film made in the 90s. Diet Coke is also a great complement to your taste buds and movie choices. 

|This brings me to my second line of thought.| 

I am considering adding a third possible theme for Thursdays since they are the most difficult days I seem to have. 
In addition to Thursday Theories (which I have yet to actually accomplish a post for) and Thirsty Thursdays, I was considering Film for Thought Thursdays where I recommend a movie (or T.V. show) for your viewing pleasure. 

I'm going to do an introductory piece now to see how it feels to my fabulous readers. 

Film for Thought Thursday:

I know Son-in-Law is nearly 3 decades old, but it still manages to have merit. Pauly Shore is a fantastic actor, in my opinion, and totally adorable. (Yes, I have a crush, but I'll try not to rant on about that for now.) His character, Crawl, is everything you want in your best friend or significant other. He's clever, sweet, funny, and unfailingly honest. Sure, his sense of fashion is a bit eccentric, but he's still completely comfortable in his own skin. 
Moving on to other virtues of the film, every character is realistic. You can relate to someone because they feel like someone you know. Whether it's the dorky brother, the deflated mom, the father or grandfather set in their ways and afraid of change - someone will call out to you in this movie. For me it was Rebecca, the female lead, who grew up in a small town and was totally unprepared for college life away from her family and friends. Travis is like every jock who's lost his girlfriend, although not every high school star is quite as amoral. Tracy, the friend who is stuck and mistreated trusting the wrong guy but eventually sticks it to the jerk when the rose-colored glasses shatter. 
What I really loved is how it made me feel like I was there. It was filmed in a time before cellular phones and laptops had become the norm. Cameras were marveled over long before their digital evolution were invented. Payphones were still on every corner and, more importantly, were constantly of use because we still kept connected with our loved ones. 
I could go on about this movie for ages, so I'll just cut it short with this: before watching this film, try to make it through Encino Man because there is a short appearance from Brendan Fraser's character Link. While it could easily go unnoticed, it lasts just long enough to confuse people who don't understand why everyone is so fast to gloss over his weird behavior. Sure, you could just say everyone's weird in California - but sometimes that just doesn't really fly.