Since The Beginning:

Monday, November 9, 2020

Movie Monday |Beware The Gonzo|

BEWARE THE GONZO came out in 2011. I had never even heard of it until yesterday morning. 

Originally, I was simply going to watch it because it stars Ezra Miller (and Zoe Kravitz). 

However, after reading the synopsis, I became even more excited. 

I have a deep love of movies relating to freedom of the press. When you add high school drama to it, in addition to censorship, it's bound to be something which will inevitably draw you in. Adults are constantly censoring students - usually just because they see them as being too young to have anything worth listening to. I've never agreed with this stance - not as a kid or an adult. I could go on to mention numerous times it happened to me when I was younger, or even now in my 30s, but I won't. Why? Because it would detract from what this should be about. 

I know this film is 9 years old, but it's still very relevant. I hope all of you take the time to watch this movie and bring something out of it. The characters are relatable and powerful. Even at their most ridiculous moments, it is simple to imagine the events happening in reality. 

It has so many issues we, as a society, need to examine closely. We need to deal with the pressure and the hell people get put through and change everything. The disaster that is this "Boys Will Be Boys" response to actions, making it so that no one ever has to take responsibility. This world needs to do better. We need to do better.