Since The Beginning:

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Let's get FIRED UP!... for a Movie 🎦 Review

I probably shouldn't enjoy Fired Up! (released 2009as much as I do. That being said, I'm about to hype it up for you, my dear readers. 

Fired Up! is a movie about 2 friends, Nick - High School Football Captain - and Shawn - also on the football team. They decide to skip out on football camp, this particular summer, in favor of Cheer Camp so they can score with more babes. 

Shawn's sister helps explain everything to them they didn't already know, along with helping to show off their athleticism to their squad in an attempt to convince Carly, the cheer captain - who is far more "with-it" than the girls they usually con into... shall we say after school activities?

In a lot of ways this film is campy and along the lines of American Pie - which makes sense given when it was released. In other ways, there is some serious growth as far as Shawn & Nick becoming more "fully formed humans" when it comes to empathy and friendship.

I won't give anymore spoilers, but when it first came out I simply laughed a lot - as you'd expect. However, having recently viewed it again, I now am positive the "Too straight to be gay" Nick was - despite everything - bisexual or at least questioning. 

Yes, some of the things which hinted at homosexuality could easily be exactly what he says - misunderstandings based on assumptions and cluelessness - but I can't help feeling they were really just too scared to push that thought with a white male character. 

I can't speak for everyone, but if they were ever to make a sequel showing us where they are now (Please, please, please!!!) I would love to see Nick in a polyamorous relationship with *Downey and *Sylvia. 

*Please note: Neither character was an actual love-interest for Nick so this is in no way an actual spoiler. It's just something I can absolutely see happening in my warped mind.*