Since The Beginning:

Monday, February 7, 2022

Define Normal: Sleep Talking / Dreams Speak.

 Normal Not Normal is without a doubt the only podcast I actually listen to. The latest episode references, however briefly, sleep talking. 

The majority of my family are, in fact, sleep-talkers. My aunt Diana even goes so far as to dream and speak in German, according to my mother. My ex-husband would cry out in fear of some unknown assailant. My eldest son talks about building things in Minecraft and losing at Mario Kart. My youngest son talks about playing outside. My mother, though, is the most exhausting - even more so than my sister. 

Why? Because all her sleep-talking seems like coherent responses, we have gotten ourselves in trouble with her on multiple occasions. Her eyes will be wide open, she'll seem totally awake... but she'll have zero memory of authorizing me to attend a sleepover out of town, my dad to order pizza, my sister to skip school... the list goes on and on. 

My sister, for what it's worth, usually makes no sense and has her eyes closed as you'd expect. However, when she starts babbling in Spanish - get out your translator. 

"Monkey shaped bananas are wearing skates and dancing in the Olympics!" will forever be my favorite line from her mouthy excursions. Just so I'm clear, it was entirely in Spanish. Sadly, I only remember the crazy translation. 

Wishing you a splendid week!