Since The Beginning:

Friday, May 27, 2011

Literacy - Apathy on the Rise

Will someone please tell me when it became "okay" not to fix spelling or grammatical errors in PUBLISHED works? I'm not just talking about books, either. I'm talking about newspapers. These errors are so atrocious that Jay Leno wouldn't allow them on the air! (Hypothetically speaking, that is.) My former Journalism teacher allowed a sign to stay on her door that was the wrong FORM of the word and said, "Oh, it's alright. It doesn't hurt anyone." Needless to say, I have plenty of issues with said instructor. I'm so happy to have graduated High School. I no longer have to deal with her, but instead am stuck with other people with the same low standards. Their standards are so low that I am tempted to believe they don't have any at all.
Throw in our current economy and our dependency on Fast Food places and we'll really have a rant going on here. However, I will save those issues for a different day. Right now, I have to get back to the day at hand.