Since The Beginning:

Monday, July 24, 2023

 Barbie was a great film for all intents and purposes. It would have been better if my 6 year old hadn't been asking me questions throughout the film, but that isn't a flaw I can ascribe to the film itself. 

I know some people don't want to see it because of Margot Robbie being such a Harry Potter fan - this almost stopped my sister herself from seeing it and it was her idea to take us to see it in the first place! I agree that J.K. Rowling being a TERF and, thus, Margot's slight affiliation with her does make it harder to stomach as a true girl power film. However, I didn't have a clue about their affiliation with one another until after watching the movie. So it didn't affect my view of the plot & acting. 

I only found out about Margot Robbie because my sister (again - her idea to go) said something when we were leaving the mall. 

I did point out I had no idea she was a Harry Potter fan. Obviously, I'm aware of J.K.R.'s stance on Trans Women - I'm not living under a rock! I simply avoid learning celebrity takes on politics, religion, and so forth. Frankly, I'd just rather not know. Sometimes we are influenced in the biggest ways by things we wouldn't think twice about, that said - this is not one of those times. 

I stopped rereading and watching Harry Potter when J.K.R. said what she did. I also refuse to watch the new FLASH movie as a result of Ezra Miller's actions. I know most people who feel and think the way I do won't even hold that against me. As a nonbinary entity, I feel even more disgusted than the cis-het males waving their "Caucasity" around.

I do still, however, recommend watching Barbie - although, maybe wait until you can just check it out on DVD from your local library? [It's what I did with Doctor Who for a while when I found out why Christopher Eccleston didn't return for a second series/season.*]

This said, however, everyone's acting was above & beyond. I'm a little surprised by who wasn't cast rather than who was, but overall - nothing I would change as far as the actual film & storyline. Will Ferrell was just the right amount of everything without going too far - the way some comedians would. Michael Cera was perfection as Allan. America Ferrera is absolutely divine as a normal, down to Earth, on-the-edge, everyday mom. Kate McKinnon as "Weird Barbie" is everything you could hope for. Issa Rae as "President Barbie" was gold - pure gold. Even John Cena was "Merman Ken" and it was so worth it. Ryan Gosling, of course, played his part perfectly - even if his Ken did make me want to gag because he was just so insecure and lost. I felt bad for him - but not so bad I couldn't see the forest for the trees. This said, Simu Liu was easily my favorite Ken. He just was the entire package and never looked like he was going to break character... I was seriously looking to see if editing missed anyone breaking because I know *I* would have had a hard time keeping a straight face. Rhea Perlman as Ruth was fantastic. Helen Mirren cracked us all up several times as the Narrator. Everyone did exactly what they intended and I would see it again. 

*( In the UK they call it a "series" whereas in the US they call it a "season" so you get both in that sentence. You'll all live.)